- What are the specifications of the Microsoft Surface Pro tablet PC?
- What services does CCDS provide for tablet PCs?
- What are the requirements for annual software licensing for tablet PCs?
- What are the requirements for Surface Pro tablet PC carrying cases?
- Must I purchase a new tablet PC this year?
- What is the expected working lifetime of a tablet PC at CCDS?
- Should I replace my tablet PC early?
- What are your recommendations for computer backup?
- Can I set up a compatible wireless network at home?
- When will I receive my new tablet PC?
- What has CCDS’s experience been with the Windows 10 operating system?
- Why am I prohibited from using a nonstandard portable computer?
- What insurance coverage do I need for my tablet PC?
- How does the Computrace loss tracking service work?
- What are the policies and procedures for the loaner pool?
- How do I get my tablet PC repaired when I am no longer at CCDS?
- I don’t see an answer to my question. Whom should I contact?
The following are summary specifications. A detailed specification sheet is available in the right-hand sidebar.
- Size: 11.5”×7.93”×0.33”
- Weight: 1.70 lbs
- Display: Screen: 12.3” Resolution: 2736×1824, Aspect Ratio: 3:2, Intel® HD graphics 620
- Touch: 10-point Multi-touch
- Battery Life: Up to 13.5 hours of video playback
- Storage/RAM: 128GB storage with 8GB RAM
- Processor: 7th generation Intel® Core® i5, TPM Chip for enterprise security
- Network: Wireless: Wi-Fi 802.11ac/802.11 a/b/g/n, Bluetooth® 4.1 Wireless technology
- Ports: Full-size USB 3.0, microSDXC card reader, Surface Connect, Headset jack, Mini DisplayPort, Cover port
- Cameras: Windows Hello face authentication camera (front-facing), 5.0 megapixel front-facing camera, 8.0 megapixel rear-facing camera
- Video and Audio: Stereo microphones, Stereo speakers with Dolby Audio Premium
- Sensors: Ambient light sensor, Accelerometer, Gyroscope
- Exterior: Magnesium case, silver color, physical volume and power buttons
- Surface Pro Type Cover
- Surface Pen
- Brenthaven Edge Bumper Case
- Brenthaven Tred Carrying Case with Shoulder Strap
- Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise x64 Operating System
- Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access, and OneNote)
- Microsoft Office 365 Education Subscription (OneDrive for Business with 1 terabyte cloud storage, Office Online, SharePoint Online Collaboration, Exchange Online Email, Microsoft Teams
- Microsoft Enterprise core client access license (Windows Server, Exchange Server)
- Microsoft Windows Defender antimalware package
- Computrace theft-deterrent tracking software
- All software is licensed on an annual subscription basis and billed separately through the student’s CCDS billing account
- 4-year standard warranty that covers manufacturer’s defects on the main unit (1-year on the Surface Pen, power supply, and accessories)
- 4-year extended hardware service plan with accidental damage coverage on the main unit (maximum of 2 main-unit replacements over 4 years)
- The Type Cover keyboard, considered to be an accessory, is covered with a standard warranty for 1 year only. Damage of any type is not covered.
- Computrace theft-deterrent package with prorated loss recovery guarantee
- Microsoft Surface Pro (i5 CPU / 8GB RAM / 128GB SSD) tablet PC bundle $1,557 + sales tax ($98.52) = $1,655.52
- An annual software licensing fee is billed separately through the student’s CCDS billing account.
The CCDS Technology Office strives to maintain a functioning tablet PC in the hands of each student at all times by providing hardware service and software support on site. Surface Pro units are not field-serviceable. When hardware repairs are required, the failed/damaged unit is swapped with a refurbished unit, and the user’s data is transferred. Under the manufacturer’s warranty, users also have access to service through Microsoft retail stores nationwide.
The CCDS tablet PC maintenance program offers the following:
- Troubleshooting assistance at the Technology Help Desk
- Drop-off for repairs at the Technology Office
- Data transfer to the replacement unit when a unit swap is required
- System Reloading: rapid restoration of standard software images when software becomes corrupted or when significant upgrades become available
- System Integration: networking and application configuration for CCDS
CCDS participates in the Microsoft Enrollment for Education Solutions subscription licensing program (EES). This program gives students access to the current versions of the Windows operating system and the Office productivity software package, and client access licenses for Windows Server and Exchange Server. We are fortunate to be able to benefit from the substantial education discounts offered. Under the terms of the EES license, all students in grades 5–12 at CCDS must pay for a license subscription on an annual basis during their tenure at Country Day. The license terminates when a student leaves the school. An additional benefit of the EES program for students who graduate is that those students are granted a perpetual license to the EES-licensed software versions installed at the time of their graduation. Microsoft does not offer this benefit to students who withdraw from the school on any other basis than graduation. When a former student’s EES license terminates, the previously licensed software must be removed from that former student’s computer, or else the student must purchase other licenses covering that software. The software fee will be billed separately to each student in grades 5–12.
A majority of the damage and other problems with student tablet PCs at CCDS are the result of mishandling, dropping, and abuse. Keeping the computer in the case we provide is required of Middle School students. We strongly recommend that all users transport their tablet PCs in the slim, padded carrying cases we provide that are specifically designed to hold just the tablet PC. We strongly recommend against stuffing tablet PCs into backpacks and book bags where they are subject to crushing by other heavy items in those bags. Tablet PCs that are dropped or otherwise impacted when not inside a carrying case are likely to suffer significant, expensive damage to the screen and/or case. While such damage is covered under the accidental damage warranty, that coverage is limited. Accidental damage coverage is likely to be exhausted by multiple repair incidents. Our experience with Surface devices in previous years has taught us that it is highly vulnerable to screen breakage when dropped. For this reason we have adopted and required the use of a bumper case for the Surface Pro that substantially mitigates this problem. We will supply a carrying case and install a bumper case for each Surface Pro purchased.
Everyone purchasing a new Surface Pro tablet PC is required to use the bumper case at all times. We recommend carrying the Surface Pro in its case separately, or placing the case inside a backpack if that backpack is otherwise lightly loaded.
The intended working lifetime of a tablet PC used at CCDS is four years, and warranty coverage extends for this period of time. Students must use a tablet PC that is issued by CCDS and is under warranty. Tablet PCs that are now four years old and out of warranty must be replaced. These include Microsoft Surface Pro 3 units purchased during the 2014–15 school year. If you are not sure what model tablet PC you have, please refer to the individual emails with this information that we will be sending to parents of all current students.
We plan for tablet PCs purchased at CCDS to have a useful working lifetime of four years. This coincides well with our academic program: a new tablet PC would typically be purchased for students entering fifth and ninth grades, so that two tablets would suffice for a student’s tenure in grades 5–12 at CCDS. Having said this, it is important to point out that users must take proper care of their machines to achieve this longevity. In our experience, higher than usual wear and tear is the most common reason for a computer to last less than four years.
Every year there is new functionality that the latest device provides. We consider the Surface Pro to be an incremental upgrade over the Surface Pro 4. All tablet PCs under warranty are fully supported and are functionally similar in that they have the same operating system and software packages with pen, touch, and keyboard inputs. Another factor to consider is that if your child is in grades 8–11 this year, then you will be facing the purchase of another tablet PC sometime during the remainder of your child’s career at CCDS. If, due to wear and tear, your tablet PC is having frequent maintenance problems now, then purchasing a new tablet this year may be the way to go.
Backup of important computer data is the responsibility of each student. With the school's Microsoft Office 365 subscription, Microsoft provides each user with 1 terabyte of cloud storage on OneDrive for Business. Students must back up their data to the cloud, including school-related documents as well as personal music and video collections. Tablet PCs may be lost or stolen, and solid state drives may fail. In either case your data will be irretrievably lost if it is not backed up. CCDS no longer provides local server-based storage for students.
Yes. There are many wireless access points on the market that are designed for home use. These work best with broadband Internet connections available from Time Warner Cable or Cincinnati Bell. It is important to set up these devices correctly in order not to disrupt your child’s ability to connect to the network at school. We also strongly recommend that the wireless access point that you purchase include firewall functionality. A popular option today for home printing is a WiFi enabled printer that can be accessed by all computers on a home network. You will want to set up a WPA2-encrypted wireless network with a pre-shared key (WPA2-Personal). If you need assistance with purchasing decisions or setup, please contact the Technology Help Desk at (513) 979-0214 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We can refer you to appropriate consultants for your home networking needs.
We have been using Windows 10 at CCDS since its release in 2015. In conjunction with the Microsoft Surface Pro tablet PC, Windows 10 provides for multiple styles of user interaction. The ability to use keyboard, stylus, touch, audio, and video input with a thin and light hardware device provides for unprecedented flexibility for the user. The Surface Pro’s all-day battery capacity in a system with a full-powered Intel CPU is a big advantage compared to older systems. The Surface Pro’s solid-state drive provides a significant performance gain along with the reliability that comes with a storage device with no moving parts. We have required since August 2017 that all Tablet PCs at CCDS run the Windows 10 operating system, and we strongly encourage users to upgrade to each semi-annual Windows 10 feature release when available.
We sometimes receive inquiries from parents about providing their child with a nonstandard computer purchased outside of CCDS. Usually this is because of a perceived lower cost of doing so. We do not permit the use of nonstandard computers by students at CCDS. Here’s why:
- The level of collaboration and authentic, engaged use of technology at CCDS is second to none. Standard tablet PC hardware running a fully functioning operating system is a major driver in our world-renowned learning environment.
- The perceived lower cost is illusory based on the lack of an apples-to-apples comparison. CCDS tablet PCs are bundled with specific software needed to operate in our environment. We provide significant value-added services in the area of maintenance and support. Purchasing these items separately always results in a higher total cost than the CCDS bundle.
- It is important to understand that with all portable computers, breakage and repairs are facts of life. We have structured our repair services at CCDS to maximize convenience and minimize downtime. Students having nonstandard computers are not able to use our repair facility or loaner pool.
- We carefully configure CCDS standard computers to operate efficiently with our application software and in our networking environment. We provide a system that allows standard computers to be quickly reloaded in the aftermath of software corruption. We are not able to provide this service for nonstandard computers.
See also the Nonstandard Computer Use Policy statement.
All CCDS tablet PCs come with an upgraded warranty that covers both manufacturing defects and accidental damage for a period of four years. Total loss of the machine due, for example, to destruction or theft, is not covered under this warranty. For this reason we recommend that families add coverage for such total loss to their homeowners’ insurance policies. This is usually available as an inexpensive, sometimes no-cost, policy rider. Please contact your insurance agent for details.
CCDS uses the Computrace loss tracking service from Absolute Software on all its tablet PCs. Computrace provides a service guarantee such that Absolute Software pays the owner $1,000 for any tablet PC lost and not recovered in the first year after purchase. The payment decreases by $200 per year thereafter, or $800 in the second year of service, $600 in the third year, and $400 in the fourth year. The cost of the Computrace service for four years is included in the purchase price of the tablet PC bundle.
Repair services are available worldwide directly from Microsoft. Procedures for accessing repair services are described in detail on the Device Repair website. CCDS is not able to provide repair services or loaner computers for students no longer attending the school.
Because of the licensing restrictions of the Microsoft School Agreement, CCDS is not able to reimage the software on computers for students no longer attending the school. CCDS will advise users how to restore the factory default software configuration on their computers. Contact the Technology Help Desk at (513) 979-0214 or email@example.com for further assistance.
Need More Information?
Contact the Technology Help Desk at
(513) 979-0214 or
Click the thumbnail to view the impact of Windows Tablet PCs on education at CCDS.
Tablet PC Detailed Specifications
Microsoft Surface Pro (2018–2019)
Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (2016–2018)
Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (2014–2016)
Fujitsu Stylistic Q702 (2013–2014)
Fujitsu Stylistic Q702 (2012–2013)
Fujitsu Lifebook T730 (2011–2012)
Toshiba Portege M780 (2010–2011)
Toshiba Portege M750 (2009–2010)
Toshiba Portege M700 (2008–2009)
Toshiba Portege M400 (2006–2008)
Toshiba Portege M200 (2003–2005)